Redirecting to New Eckert's Blog

Our blog has moved and you should be redirected shortly.

Please update your bookmarks.

If you are not redirected, follow this link: http://www.eckerts.com/family_recipes_blog/.

     COOKING CLASSES               KIDS CLASSES               WINE CLASSES               PRIVATE EVENTS                 CONTACT US

Stay Connected with Eckert's Country Store & Farms

Pin It

Monday, August 5, 2013

Skillet Peach Cobbler


 
A few years ago, I met Food Network TV Star and Chef, Tyler Florence, at a buying show in Atlanta. I was one of the lucky winners who received 2 free cookbooks- one autographed to me and one for Jill! Last night I made a modified version of his Bourbon Peach Cobbler from the cookbook.

I took a shortcut on the crust and used Eckert’s pie crust instead of his topping recipe. I am sure his is delicious but I was in a bit of hurry!  So, I used the same technique for cooking the peaches in a cast iron skillet. You can also use a regular oven-safe skillet. Chris and I are fortunate to have his grandma’s seasoned cast-iron skillet so I put that to use.
 
I mixed white and yellow fleshed peaches because I had them both on hand. Look how beautiful they look together! And of course, we served it with Eckert’s Frozen Custard. Thanks for the inspiration Tyler!
 
Eat well this summer,
Angie
4 Tbs butter
7 Fancy (large) Eckert’s peaches, peeled and sliced
¼ cup whiskey
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs corn starch
½ tsp cinnamon
1 Eckert’s Pie Shell, thawed
1 egg, scrambled

 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a 12” cast-iron or oven safe skillet. In a large bowl, combine peaches, whiskey, sugar, corn starch and cinnamon. Stir gently to incorporate. Pour peach mixture into the skillet and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened. Turn off the heat. On a floured surface flatten the sides of the pie shell to form a 12” circle using a rolling pin or your hands. Cut 2-3 vents in the center of the shell. Top the peaches with pie crust and brush with about a tablespoon of the egg. (The crust may not reach the edges of the skillet but that is okay.) Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Serve from the skillet.
 

No comments: