Redirecting to New Eckert's Blog

Our blog has moved and you should be redirected shortly.

Please update your bookmarks.

If you are not redirected, follow this link: http://www.eckerts.com/family_recipes_blog/.

     COOKING CLASSES               KIDS CLASSES               WINE CLASSES               PRIVATE EVENTS                 CONTACT US

Stay Connected with Eckert's Country Store & Farms

Pin It

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Eckert's Kale Salad with Strawberries

I am new to the world of kale! I have seen it in magazines and blogs everywhere over the past year and yet I have very little experience with it in my own kitchen. This year Eckert’s is growing kale which presents the perfect opportunity to start a collection of kale recipes.


 My kids have been having fun picking it from our garden at Eckert’s. It is easy to harvest the curly, bluish leaves with a little twist of the wrist. We currently have some Eckert-grown kale for sale in our Country Store in Belleville.


 I have made this kale salad several times this spring. The original recipe called for apples instead of strawberries and that too is delicious. But with strawberry season soon coming to an end, I find myself assembling this salad a lot lately. In fact, we’ve already had it twice this week!

As I tear the fresh-picked kale leaves in to bite size pieces for my serving bowl, I remove and compost the center stems. (When eating kale raw, I find the stems to be exceptionally bitter and somewhat tough.) For quick assembly, I keep a Ball jar of the dressing in my frig. This salad’s tangy dressing, sweet fruit and creamy Manchego cheese temper the bitter kale flavors quite well. Since I am fairly new to eating raw kale, I LOVE the balance of flavors in this recipe.

I hope you will give the homegrown strawberries and kale combo a try- it will amaze you!

Eat well this spring, Angie

For Dressing:
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

For the Salad
1 large bunch (about 1lb) kale, stems torn, cut out, or julienned
1/3 cup dried apricots, julienned
1/4 cup almond slivers
2 ounces manchego cheese, grated
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 cups sliced strawberries 

In a large bowl whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, mayonnaise, sugar and salt. Add the kale and toss to coat well. Set aside for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the apricots, almonds, cheese, and cranberries over the dressed kale. Toss again to evenly distribute. Season with pepper and additional salt, if needed. Arrange strawberry slices over the top of the salad and serve.


P.S. Do you have a great recipe using kale? If so, please share with me! I will gladly trade you some fresh kale for a fabulous recipe. Just email me at Angie.eckert@eckerts.com

We are excited to announce that we have a large vegetable garden planted that will be available for pick-your-own in early July - like us on facebook for the most up to date picking information. 

No comments: